U.S. Forest Service Special Orders & Regulations:
“The following acts are prohibited on National Forest System land within the Flat Tops Wilderness.”
1. Entering or being in the area with more than 15 people per group, and a maximum combination of 25 people and pack or saddle animals in any one group is prohibited.
2. There is no permit system in place in the Flat Tops Wilderness but we do ask that visitors sign in on provided trailhead registration forms.
3. Camping within one hundred feet of any lake, stream or trail, or any “No Camping” or “Wilderness Restoration Site” sign or within ¼ mile of Trappers, Hooper, Keener or Smith Lakes is prohibited.
4. Building, maintaining, attending or using a campfire within one hundred feet of any lake, stream, or trail or within ¼ miles of Trappers, Hooper, Keener or Smith Lakes is prohibited.
5. Storing equipment or personal property or supplies for longer than 10 days is prohibited.
6. Hitching, tethering or hobbling any pack or saddle animal within one hundred feet of any lake, stream or trail is prohibited.
7. Possessing any pack or saddle animal within ¼ mile of Trappers Lake except for watering or through travel is prohibited.
8. Possessing a dog or other animal that is harassing wildlife or people or damaging property is prohibited. There is no leash law in the Flat Tops, however dogs must be kept under verbal control at all times.
9. Possessing or using a wagon, cart or other vehicle including a wheelbarrow or game cart is prohibited.
10. Shortcutting a switchback in a trail is prohibited.